Sunday 11 April 2010

ADVERTISING - PART III






In the last part I decided to dive into the work that is done by the ad people. They need to consider many factors before they try to persuade we need a concrete product. They need to plan how to sell it to us in the most efficient manner. The process includes, thinking about the target customers, their needs, dreams, problems, their self-image etc. As they want to encode deeply in our minds one message: you are what you buy. That is what advertising is about. After careful analyses they find the way to communicate to us, that if we buy what they offer, we will enhance our self-perception and how other perceive us, too. How this communication works? It is mostly based on brand image, which according to Wikipedia is” typically the attributes one associates with a brand, how the brand owner wants the consumer to perceive the brand”. Then the product is also linked in its features and way it is being advertised to the values of the brand itself. It is so, that we buy the products that we identify ourselves with. So under the condition that certain brand’s values apply to ours and the ideal-me image( the way we would like to be), there is a large chance that it will become our shelf choice in a supermarket or any other shop. I must stress, however, that it of course takes place on an unconscious level. Therefore, I buy Apple I’m trendy, innovative and independent person. I eat Winiary I value tradition, family and trusty products. I drive Alfa Romeo I have fine taste for design, I’m sexy and like unpredictable adventure (and I can afford mending;)). Marlboro and the cowboy association is also a good example. Nike is about overcoming obstacles and being able to win with ones frailty. Diverse brands target their products to a more mainstream consumers, some are aimed at concrete groups of consumers. There are different means of sculpting such an image- it can be for example done with a simple usage of colours, which indisputably shape our mood and reception of certain phenomena- as Aristotle said “perception begin with the eye”!





If you were interested in branding have a look at some basic information at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand


So, as it was said every brand communicates some values and If they correspond to yours you are most likely to choose it without being aware of the impact. Now, have a look at people from advertising industry talking about their jobs and issues, I have in short presented above:












Q:
So, tell me, what are your impressions?
How much, do you guys think, you are influenced by ads?
Do you at all try to think over your choices or you simply don’t care?
What are your brand choices and what do you think they say about you?


Thanks for attention and I hope you liked it.




7 comments:

  1. For me advertising is a very interesting topic. Just to be clear: I'm only a silent viewer, disconnected from the advertisement-making process. However, I enjoy yearly event called 'Noc Reklamożerćow' during which a great set of adverts is presented to the audience.

    In regards to your questions, when it comes to brands I don't have a favourite one. However, I always try to aim for the superior quality. That's why I don't go shopping too often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion each of these brands has earned its reputation not only by the number of ads but also by something in their products and services. There were many auction houses, but the only ones that survived are at the highest level just like eBay. There are hundreds of Cola-like beverages but only two of them count Pepsi and original Coca-Cola. It works the same way with the larger shops, instant messaging services, search engines etc. . Practically the whole world now is now under the influence of advertisement. There are ads that are fun and those that make us go as far as possible from the company, but the goal is common in both kinds of ads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think advertising has a great influence on people and its effect has been getting stronger nowadays. Few years ago there were a few ways of advertising, ads were published in newspapers, magazines or broadcasted in radios. But now advertisements can stronger affect our life, by commercials on TV, banners on websites and generally by mass media. There are situations when customers including me know what they need but do not know which brand of the goods fits them best, because there are hundreds of similar products. It is not true when I consider buying for example new computer, because I exacly know what I want. But if I want to buy, let say: mixer or shampoo or other product I have no idea about, I probably chose product which was the only product I had ever seen on TV commercial. Above situation accurately show influence of advertising.

    I often think about negative aspects of advertising. For example the most primitive group that commercials want to take attention are children, because they have huge impact on their parents decisions while shopping. On the other hand I find some positive aspects of advertising. Advertisements can change shopping habits. People can try a new brand or a new products after they watch the commercial. We can find commercials on YouTube, why? because many commercials tell a funny story and make us smile.

    I think we should also mention other types of advertising like recommendations from people we know or opinions posted by consumers online. These, in my opinion, are the most trusted forms of advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much, do you guys think, you are influenced by ads?
    I don't watch TV, I surf with Adblock and like most web developers I have so called "ad blindness", so I think I minimally influenced by ads.

    What are your brand choices and what do you think they say about you?
    I rather don't care what brands I choose. I choose them because I like the products or because someone recommended them to me. Of course I'm more likely to buy a product which is strongly advertised because probably it's more available than other similar products.

    ReplyDelete
  5. if adverts of one type are shown very often than you get use to it. than if you have to choose one of the same product you will defenetly choose this one.

    I like avderts on big buildings but costs are amazing in the city center is about 140.000,00 PLN MONTHLY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I don't like about advertising is clearly visible in Internet ads. While surfing the net we encounter far too many ads which we don't want to see but are forced to. Such aggressive advertising doesn't work. It even makes me dislike the brand which makes such annoying ads. When shopping I tend to choose a different manufacturer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. s4297 that's why somebody made advert blocking software for browsers like adblock for firefox. It has a huge database of adverts links and blocks it, while browser is rendering webpage.
    Yoy can check it here:

    http://adblockplus.org/en/

    ReplyDelete