Tuesday 18 May 2010

Portable earheadphones

Everyone have some experience with music. We usually listen to the music in our houses using cd/mp3 player or computer as source and big speakers in output. Usually, but not always. If we want to go outside, we must buy a pair of portable ear/headphones. I wrote quick review of some types of them.

Tiny, cheap, easy-use – that words describe open earphones so-called “buds”. They're very popular just because they're very portable and low-cost. Sound and isolation are not very good, but price, comfort and portability is like no other.



Next earphones is a big step forward. They're earphones, that fit into ear canal (in package you get several pairs of ear tips in different sizes) and block noise quite well. In “canal” earphones you don't need to play music loudly, because you are listening only your music, not noise around you. They're sound very well and price is not too big.



In Ear Monitors (IEM) – these are the best earphones for professional musicians, or people, who need to listen in most perfect quality. They have armature drivers, that assure great sound stage, instruments separation and audiophile sound.

Custom molded earphones are also IEM, but only one person can use them. You must make a custom molds of your ears to make that, but sound isolation is awesome. Professional on-stage musicians are wearing “customs” (or people, who have hefty wallet ;)).

 

Okay, that's all about buds, iems etc.. Now it's time for small review of greater brothers of earbuds - portable headphones.


Headphones have bigger dynamic drivers. There are earbuds for 200$ and headphones for 5$, but mostly, over-the-ear or ear-padded headphones are just better than smaller earphones. It's a lot to discuss about sound of them, but I like to write something about two primary types of portable headphones.



First - it's closed headphones. They're mainly constructed for blocking noise around us. These headphones are not always comfortable just because of their build (they're bigger and heavier than open headphones), but the way of playing low frequency ("bass") is quite awesome. They are perfect for walk on the streets or to train or bus.

Second - it's open headphones. In audiophiles opinion, they're much better than closed headphones. They have less effective noise isolation than in-ear or full-size models and less powerful bass, but they are more comfortable, sound is more balanced, dulcet.

 

So, if you want to go outside and listen to the music, leave your big headphones at home and get some more comfortable and portable alternative.

What is your opinion about that? What are Your experiences with ear/headphones?

 

10 comments:

  1. What are Your experiences with ear/headphones?

    I have rather bad experience with 'canal' earphones, witch I used before. They don't fit well to my ears and after one hour of listening my ears hurts me. Maybe higher model would be better. So now I simply use iPhone earphones. Honestly I have no expirience with headphones.

    What is your opinion about that?

    I rarely listen music outdoor, frequently in travel or in front of my computer. In my opinion ear/headphones are very useful. Moreover they sounds better than speakers. Like I wrote I can listening music at home, without annoying members of my family or neighbors. It is also safer to use earphone with mobilephone, especially while driving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use headphones almost all the time, not only for music but also for gaming and watching movies. Due to the fact I price very good sound quality of a headphones I choses a reputable company Sennheiser. They are not very mobile due to their large size and a little strange look if I used them on the street. As for in-ear headphones that I already had a lot of them. Unfortunately, they always destructed, no matter whether they were made by branded companies like Creative or Sennheiser. What is more they are harmful to the ears. Luckily I finally managed to find a combination of both in Steelseries Neckband. They are semi-opened headphones, but you can show them on the street, because of their appearance and not to big size. The most important thing is that the sound quality far exceeds the ear headphones that I met so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take my earphones whenever I plan to walk through the city. It’s a coincidence because I use AKG K518 which are shown on one photos is this post. They are designed for DJ’s: they are closed and efficient (loud). They are not sophisticated in terms of sound quality nevertheless they don’t make your ears bleed. I can recommend them because they are good value for the money and they are very well build. I own also Sennheiser cx300II ear plugs, they come handy quite often and Its good to have them with me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are Your experiences with ear/headphones?

    I have bought rather cheap earphones because when I use his liveness is very short. But generally I rarely use ear/headphones...


    What is your opinion about that?

    I prefer listen music loud on the hi-fi loud speakers but somethimes in different places I have to listen music only on earphones, f.ex. library, subway etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is your opinion about that?
    I rarely use earphones because I spend most of my time in from of the computer and in a car and I use speakers. I think it would be uncomfortable to sit the whole day in earphones

    What are Your experiences with ear/headphones?
    When I used to buy earphones, I always bought cheap throw away ones. They usually lasted for a few month, then I bought new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Headphones are very useful. When I’m sitting in front of my pc in the evening (just like now) and want to listen to the loud music I can do it without annoying my neighbors. It’s the best I can do at the moment. In the future I plan to create a special room with perfectly located high quality speakers and a leather couch placed in the best listening point. Of course if it will be in the flat I would think about sound absorbing walls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well lat headphones I bought was headphones which comes with my phone, obviously it wasn't Iphone so they're rubbish.. I think

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm using only 'canal' earphones and most of the time it's when I'm not at home. The best thing for me is that I hear music, no outside noise. I know that they might be damaging my ears a little bit, but I don't like headphones. They aren't comfortable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to use Sony MDR-V700 headphones, which gives very good sound quality for club music. They' be got very nice distance from noise, and low distortion. They also muffle outside noise in significant degree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Twelve years no one knew about earphones called KOSS PORTA PRO. They were expensive, costed 500 PLN, but they were astonishing when it comes to reproducing sound. I bought them after 15 months of "gathering funds". They had life-time warranty. And today - they cos less than 100 PLN, they are still that good(although the quality of sed plastic is little worse), they still have lifetime warranty as far as I know. I recommend them.

    ReplyDelete